How was your week? Mine was very long and boring. While I was in Abuja for the Easter Break (check here for my review of The Little Diner), I won a free class at Red Dish Culinary School courtesy of Agon. Agon is holding tomorrow (10th April) at Turf Arena, River Plate Park, Central Business District in Abuja from 2pm. For more information check @agon_abj.
I was given the choice of either the Continental Class or the African Class. I chose the Continental class.
- Sandwiches (Hot & Cold)
- Potato Croquettes
- Wraps (Sweet & Savory)
- Pancakes & Waffles
- Cheese Melts
- Smoothie Challenge
For the smoothie challenge, she showed us how to prepare a green smoothie that she designed herself. It’s called Green Goodness. Basically blend the following:-
- Baby Spinach (can be subsituted with Kale/Parsley/Lettuce)
- Unsweetened Yoghurt
When you are done you add honey to it. I did make my own version of this with the following ingredients:
- Milk (Cocount/Almond) or Yoghurt (optional)
The class was divided into 2 (Group A and Group B).
So we were told to make eggs in 6 different ways:
- Baked Eggs
- Boiled Eggs
- Scrambled Eggs (whisk egg and milk/cream NOT with veggies)
- Sunny Side Up (You crack the egg over the pan and sprinkle salt over it)
- Poached (you boil water and add vinegar to it, then you form a whirlpool in the pan. Crack an egg into a ramekin or cup and tip the egg into the whirlpool slowly.)
Winner: No clear winner in this case
- BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomatoes) – The Bacon can be substituted with beef (as in our case)
Winner: Group B (Because of the presentation, also Group A added mayonnaise which was not part of the recipe)
- Egg Salad Sandwich
Winner: Group B (Because of presentation, also Group A removed the crust of the bread and their egg sauce was dripping) but Group A won in terms of taste.
- Chicken, Lime and Cilantro Sandwich (you can substitute the cilantro with coriander).
Winner: Presentation (Group B), Taste (Group A)
- Cucumber Slices (just bread and cucumber slices, also you remove the crust of the slices).
Winner: Group A (presentation)
Hot Sandwiches (Grilled and served hot)
- Bistro Panini
Potato croquettes is basically deep fried mashed potatoes balls. You can substitute the mashed potatoes with meat, shrimps, fish and cheese.
After preparing your mashed potatoes, roll in a ball and dip in the flour, egg wash and bread crumbs.
For the dip:
Winner: Group B
- You use only the egg white and discard the egg yolk.
Winner: Group A (Group B’s pancake looked like crepes)
It was an awesome class and I really enjoyed it!
We will be posting another review of the Red Dish Culinary School from the view of our contributor @archfandroid and her experience at the Red Dish Culinary School.
Note: Red Dish Culinary School now delivers in Abuja. Check out the menu below.
For more information on the culinary school. Kindly visit
Phone Number: 09099125608
Thanks for reading!